Last night my friends…..
It was ALL…..ABOUT….THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES!
Hey, wine comes from fruit right???
It was the 12th Annual Healthy Chef Competition. It’s put on by the BC Chef’s Association and the BC Produce Marketing Association.
We walked in and got a feel for the space, lots of people
Beautiful Ball Room
Judges went around to each of the contestant’s stations and tested out the food. (Judging was based on which establishment could make the healthiest, tastiest dish)
This is Edgar Rahal (Chairman of the Board – B.C Chef’s Association), I asked him if it’s fun to be a judge and he said, ‘uhh, yaaa.. I mean I’ve been doing it 30 years!”
Judging would be fun… but hard to pick a winner!
Then it was time for us to take our seats, time for us to try the food! At each seat, there was an envelope with 2 tickets in it. They told you who would be making your entree and who would make your dessert! This is what I got…I opted for the vegetarian dishHere are some of the other entrees
And some of the dessert…
Here are some of the chef’s and their dishes:
Kent Wong – Head Chef, Imperial Seafood Restaurant
1. Entrée: Poached Scallops and Tiger Prawns in Broth, Complemented with Asparagus
2. Dessert: Strawberry Samplers- A trio of Strawberry Desserts: Strawberry Egg Tarts, Strawberry Cream Roulade Cake, and Strawberry Osmanthus Aspic( made with Agar Agar)
Dynasty Seafood Restaurant
Chef Garly Leung – Master Dim Sum Chef
Chef Sam Leung – Executive Chef
1. Entrée: Pomegranate Chicken—Diced Chicken and Sea Cucumber lightly stir-fried, then wrapped in egg white omelette to resemble a pomegranate , accompanied with 16 grains Steamed in Lotus leaves. The entire entrée contributes only 270 calories per plate
2. Dessert Trio: A 3 –Tiered Aspic Pudding, A Porcupine Shape Pastry and a Marshmallow Bunny on the desert plate, garnished with filigree made with Choux Paste
Delizia Fusion Cusisine
Chef Eddie Hok Kwong Li – Chef/Owner
1. Entrée: Wild Sockeye Salmon wrapped in Organic Lettuce Leaves, Steamed and Set on top of circle of Organic Rice Melange, Japanese Kabocha Pumpkin. Accompanied with Mussels Marinara and Lemongrass Gastrique
2. Dessert: Panna Cotta Mi Amore: A light version of Panna Cotta, made with Almond Breeze, Amaretto di Saronno and Agave Nectar, Served in Tuiles Amandine, garnished with Forest Berries. Drizzled with Chambord Royale Coulis
At our table I sat with a couple of other bloggers! It was sooo much fun getting to know them!
This is Jenn from Foodess.com (we had tons in common, such a sweet girl)
After we wined and dined, they announced the winners of the evening were:
Best entrée – Hyatt Hotel
Healthy Plate Award – River Rock Casino
Best Dessert- Gold Fish
Best Showcase – Chinese Canadian Chef Association
Peoples choice award – Chinese Canadian Chefs Association
On our way out we each got to take a box of fresh fruits and veggies and a goodie bag! (Mike was nibbling on the cucumbers this morning)
It was a great evening! (Special thanks to Dawn from Go Golf Events)
Ladies, we should be getting 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Men- 8-10. Mix it up! Try some produce you’ve never picked up before, you just might like it! When I made my soup a couple weeks back- it was the first time I tried beets.. and guess what? I liked them!
What is your absolute most favourite fruit and veggie?
Have a great day! xoxox0